Policy and strategic advice on life cycle related questions:
– Tailored advice on the relevance and possible effects of the European Commission’s Product Environmental Footprint (PEF) developments for companies and associations of all industries, including at EU external trade partners. This builds on maki staff being main author of the first version of the Commission’s PEF and OEF guides and the founding ILCD Handbook documents as well as been repeated contractor to the Commission during the PEF/OEF pilot phase and the ongoing transition phase until end of 2021. (For more on the PEF, please see end of this page)
– Advise on the PEF for ongoing or future National LCA database efforts (see also our related White paper under “Publications”), regarding methodological, review, and other interoperability questions, including the ILCD format, flow list and nomenclature.
– Advice on the development of new life cycle based policy and private instruments, including the adaptation of existing instruments including the EU Ecodesign Directive, Ecolabel, Energy label, the new Circular Economy package
Decision support and strategic studies and advice:
– Life cycle based studies on strategic technology decisions
– Life cycle based studies on policy options
– “Classical” LCA studies of your products for internal weak-point analysis and decision support on alternative material and other design options or product comparisons
– Comparative integrated Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment (LCSA) studies that consider environmental, cost and social aspects in an integrated analysis; we have specific expertise and experience in this area.
Review of data and studies:
With independent external reviews gaining more importance, we offer to add value and acceptance to your developments. We offer review against ISO 14040 and 14044, PEF/OEF, ILCD (“ILCD Data Network – entry-level” for data sets and “ILCD-compliance” for data sets and studies). maki staff have been consortium partners of the Remodelling project to deliver the official final product models for 9 represenative products on UPS and T-shirts and have reviewed several others and have lead the quality assurance of this complex 2-years-project. Previously maki staff have been two of the four official reviewers of the past 26 PEF/OEF pilot screening studies.
Data set and database development:
Depending on your needs we offer to prepare data sets that meet the Environmental Footprint (PEF/OEF) requirements, the “International Life Cycle Data System (ILCD) Data Network – entry-level” requirements” or are “ILCD-compliant”, are ISO 14040/44 conform data or meet the specifications according to PAS2050 or BP X30-323. Should you require to receive LCA data sets or models compatible with your existing LCA software, we offer to develop life cycle models in commercial software(s), with an GaBi license in-house, others on request (working experience in Umberto and SimaPro).
Moderation of stakeholder processes:
Based on our specific experience while working several years at the European Commission, we offer to support you with technical management of stakeholder processes related to the development of LCA and related methodologies e.g. Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) schema documents, Product Category Rules (PCRs / PEFCRs) and manuals as well as LCA and related studies.
Methodology development, evaluation and harmonisation:
Having technically coordinated several key guidance documents in LCA (ILCD Handbook series) and in support to the Product Environmental Footprinting (PEF guide, OEF guide) as well as systematically analysed many others existing Manuals (ranging from PAS 2050 to BP X30, GHG Protocol, ITU and ETSI guides…), we offer to support the technical side of adopting or adapting tailored guides to the specifics of your industry.
Capacity building and expert courses:
– Specific advice on management decisions for companies that want to effectively and efficiently get started with LCA (need-to-knows, required expertise, compliance aspects, outsourcing, software & secondary data options, etc.), tailored to your specific needs and situation
– Training for experts on advanced methodological issues (ISO, PEF/OEF guide, ILCD Handbook) e.g. for data set development or review, but also for beginners. maki is consortium partner of the technical support contract to the European Commission during the ongoing PEF/OEF transition phase 2018 to end of 2021.
– Software training courses, particularly GaBi ts (developer-level expert)
About the Product Environmental Footprint (PEF)
The European Commission released the Product Environmental Footprint (PEF) Guide in April, 2013, along with the Organizational Environmental Footprint (OEF) Guide, under the premise of the “Single Market for Green Products Initiative.” The objective is to support a single metric for a single market, thus enhancing transparency and fair competition. The ultimate aim is to provide incentives to report and reduce environmental impacts. The PEF and OEF underwent EU-wide pilot testing in 24 product groups ranging from bottled water to hard disks, is now in its so-called transition phase until end of 2021, during which related EU policy instruments are bening developed.
The PEF Guide was developed using a harmonized approach, building on existing Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)-based product claim standards and guides, such as the Commission’s ILCD Handbook, ISO 14040, ISO 14044, ISO 14025, PAS 2050, BP X30-323, GHG Protocol, etc.
More information at http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eussd/smgp/product_footprint.htm